Monday, June 13, 2016

Best Debut Trailers of E3 (Part Two ~ Ranking 10-1)

Let us continue with ranking the best trailers at E3, shall we? And for those that have yet to check out the part one, go ahead and click here to get caught up. Go ahead. I'll wait right here until you do....

You good? Alright, cool. Now, let's get going with the top ten.


10. Tomb Raider

I admit. I played this game for the PlayStation (original PlayStation that is) for about a half hour and was not very pleased. I tried playing the sequels only to reach the same conclusion. Can't say I didn't try. Hearing about the reboot of the series had me interested; however, those flashbacks of being bored and confused still lingered. All that was washed away upon viewing the new and much improved origin story in Tomb Raider. Fanboy status confirmed. 


9. Beyond: Two Souls

Quantum Dream had already established a reputation for complete immersion through advanced technical graphics and focus on character development. Beyond: Two Souls was a further step in that direction. By bringing in a real actress in Ellen Page, this was more than just a game; it created a unique experience for players to get lost in.  

8. Rain

For those that remember this title, it was one of the most unforgettable debuts let alone games seen at E3. Rain created an atmospheric world rife with enemies and despair while dowsing up with a sprinkle of hope (sorry, I couldn't help myself). Players were only able to see the protagonist and characters during a downpour in a lonely, small town. All the boy wanted was to find and rescue his friend. Upon his journey, he got much more than he bargained for.


7. The Phantom Pain

Moby Dick Studios? Hey, it fooled me. Although by the end of this hospital visit from hell (literally) it was clear there was a very familiar inhabitant: Solid Snake. I mean Big Boss... You know who I'm talking about! Yet questions still remained as to how he ended up there, who his buddy was and why the government tried to keep everything on the hush. Forever. Kojima created such a masterpiece. Konami, you get a high five too.


6. Unravel

*Grab tissue and blows nose* Alright now that that's out of the way, I can continue. The moment this adorable title was...unraveled at E3 (I know, bad joke), gamers in attendance all declared their love for main character, Yarny. Now I know how cats feel. It has been a while since a character has jumped off the screen and into my heart; by the end of the trailer, that cute ball of animated yarn was number one on my must play list for 2016. 


5. Bioshock

Upon viewing the world premiere of the trailer, something felt different about this game. The tragic poetry spoken by Andrew Ryan, narrating this chilly title told us everything we needed to know. Funny thing is we just didn't know it yet. Its only until after the player completes this game do they understands the often uttered phrase "Would You Kindly?" Kevin Levine...you clever, clever man, you. 


4. The Last of Us

The Last of Us demonstrated the most realistic depiction of a zombie apocalypse in less than five minutes. Amazing. Naughty Dog is known for their meticulous attention to detail. Even though this was not the final build, all the aspects were there: crinkling of shoes over broken glass, concerned and intelligent AI (finally), an intuitive and likable side kick in Ellie and brutally, realistic combat mechanics. In a rare moment in gaming, players were not taking out "bad guys." The end of civilization is just not that simple. 


3. No Man's Sky


Saying that No Man's Sky had me in awe from the first scene is not doing it much justice. And to think its an indie title? A game out for my own nerd heart. After the show, I headed to YouTube and proceeded to replay the trailer back. Like three times...alright more like ten but who's counting? Take a look at this amazing title (coming out in August instead of June...boo) and you too will be amazed.


2. Mirrors Edge

A video created by EA and DICE about a free-running fugitive? Hmmm I don't know....whoa! Did she just tuck roll after leaping from a high building? Wait... now a zip-line?! Mix that all in with an intoxicating theme song and beautifully rendered (not to mention clean) landscape and you have Mirror's Edge. In my opinion, the game that reigned in the current generation's Xbox 360 and PS3 with a bang. I still get chills and nostalgic feels watching this trailer. Easily in my top five for best games I've played.


1. Gears of War


Before I begin this, I'd like to give this trailer and the cinematic sequels following it a huge standing ovation *claps furiously* 

Telling a story in a ten hour video game is tough enough. Gears of War's Mad World trailer did that and more. It spoke of the fall of humanity, the invasion of an alien race and depicted a lonely solider in his final fight for hope when all hope was lost. The background music was the final cherry on top for the feels fest. Anytime I hear this song on the radio, I flashback to how I felt when I saw this for the first time. So much emotion was stirred up in just 60 seconds. I'm not crying...you're crying! 


And that does it, folks. Do you agree with this list? Were there any I missed along the way? What was your favorite video game debut at E3? Let me know in the comment section below. Now if you will excuse me, I'll be playing back every trailer on this list. For research. Don't you judge me!


No comments:

Post a Comment